Corrections from an IDIY instructor
- Customer’s text
- Because I am tired, I seem to be able to sleep well.
- Corrections from the instructor
- I am tired, so I should be able to sleep well.
With our Advanced Text Correction
Explanations and comments from the instructor are included.
- Explanations/comments from the instructor
- 1) When we use “seem(s) to,” it does not refer to the future: it means that we have looked at something and seen how it looks in the present. What you want to say here is the future–”When I go to sleep, I think I will be able to sleep well.” That’s one possible phrasing, and I’ve offered another, “I should be able to sleep well.” You could also say “I’ll probably sleep well” or “I expect to sleep well,” among others.
2) In order not to begin two sentences in a row with “because,” I took it out here and changed the sentence to use “so.” The meaning is the same.